Christmas is coming! Yes, it’s that time of the year when we find ourselves dashing here, there and everywhere… visiting family, hosting friends, and generally life gets a little crazy. Growing up, mealtimes in our household were always a time to regroup and reflect on the day, plus there’s something about sitting round with those you love to share a delicious dish together that just makes me (& my tummy!) happy inside, and Christmas to me is about moments like this.
This festive season, with our latest addition, quick speedy meals are essential. Giving us more time to create special memories on our 1st Christmas together as a family of three! Plus with all the Christmas treats flying around, I always try to balance things out by eating nutrient dense means in between, which makes this delicious meal the perfect pick.
As the temperatures drop, I, like many of us, find myself craving hearty wholesome meals, and my Shepherd’s Pie with a Sweet Potato Top is a firm family fave. (You could totally use regular potatoes for this by the way, but I personally love this twist!). I even double the recipe and freeze half for a future meal – plus it comes in very handy if you have any surprise guests!
Naturally rich in protein and low in sodium, lamb helps support healthy bone maintenance, muscle mass and normal blood pressure, and this scrumptious lamb based dish I’ve made in collaboration with Try Lamb makes for a healthy balanced meal for all the family. So if you’re looking for the perfect Winter warmer for tonight or want to get prepped for your festive get-together, make my Shepherd’s Pie with a Sweet Potato Top! I even added a sprig of holly from the garden, because why not hey?! It’s Christmas!
- 400g lean lamb mince
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 handful mushrooms, chopped
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 60ml water
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, Gas mark 5.
- Filling: In a large frying pan, add the lamb, onion, garlic, carrots, pepper and mushrooms, and cook on a medium heat for 12-15 minutes, or until the carrots have softened.
- Topping: Whilst the filling cooks, boil your sweet potatoes in a saucepan until fork tender. Then add butter and mash until smooth.
- Once the carrots have softened, stir in the rosemary, salt, pepper, tomato puree and water.
- Transfer your filling in to a casserole dish, and top with the sweet potato mash. Bake for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Have a very Merry Christmas,